Remote work exposes your organization to cybersecurity risks. According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology, “An organization should assume that external facilities, networks and devices contain hostile threats that will attempt to gain access to the organization’s data and resources.” While that sounds bleak, there are ways to harden your remote IT security. Let’s take a look.
5 Ways to Ensure Remote IT Security
The best approach is a multi-layered one. Consider some or all of the following options:
- Clear remote work security policies. When COVID-19 started, you may have needed to improvise. At this point, it’s time to review and update your remote work security policies. Set clear guidelines on what devices can be used for work, and that those devices must be up-to-date on software and patches. Consider implementing policies on anti-virus and anti-malware programs.
- Employee education. Phishing scams are getting increasingly sophisticated, and employees will be less familiar with any new tools you’ve implemented for remote work, making them susceptible to falling for social engineering attacks. Consider reviewing cybersecurity best practices with employees, including how to identify phishing emails and how to use any new technology tools you’re implementing.
- Multifactor authentication. Multifactor authentication is vital in a remote work environment. Passwords can be compromised quite easily nowadays. In fact, 81% of hacks involved a compromised password. It’s essential to have another layer of security.
- Securing your internet access. A robust internet security platform should be your first line of defense in protecting your network. Cisco Umbrella is a cloud-driven secure internet gateway. It logs and categorizes internet activity, providing security at the DNS and IP layers. You can identify threats faster and dig into Cisco Umbrella’s insights to learn more about how your organization is being targeted.
- At-home security devices and firewalls. Another way to address remote security concerns is to provide your employees with secure ways to connect. Cisco Meraki devices offer advanced security and next generation WiFi, and they can be deployed quickly and easily used by your remote workforce.
Which Solutions Are Right for You?
Choosing the right solutions is a critical decision. At Extreme Integration, we work with organizations of all sizes to implement remote work solutions. We have over 17 years of experience and we’re a proud Cisco Premier Partner. We offer affordable solutions, innovative thinking and 24/7 tech support.
Ready to learn more about remote IT security? Download our Remote Firewall and VPN Management Guide today.